Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Jacksonville, Illinois, United States
My husband and I have been married for 51 years. We are both retired. He loves to garden and read. I like to do those things too but still need to do something interesting and keep my brain active. I have been selling online since 2002. I really like selling over the internet and reading and writing on the blogs as you can talk to many nice people. I also sell in order to supplement our income as day-to-day living expenses. I have a grown daughter who owns a painting business, Painters Extraordinaire II, in Chicago, IL. I also have two dogs(Lady and Corky) and a cat named Bonnie.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Getting Old.....

I will be 70 years young in 8 days and find that I no longer can do the things I used to - shock - RIGHT?

I used to be able to manage the ills of the world and keep it out of my daily life pretty good.  Oh, I used to wake up sometimes and have trouble getting back to sleep. My mind would just not turn off and I found it very hard to make it do so.  But that was not very often - just once in a while.

Now at this age I seem to carry the woes of the world around with me and feel I should be able to do something about them.  When I was younger if I saw an article about child abuse or animal abuse I could cry and get over it as I would say to myself - it's already happened - what can I do.  I think the younger we are we have the ability to compartmentalize things.  Now if I see something on the internet (they are so many, many stories) they tend to stick with me and disturb my sleep more and more and I can't get back to sleep with thinking about it.

An example:  I have always loved animals (except a few but would never hurt the ones I don't like) and have an extremely difficult time when I see something that I consider abuse.  I see a dog chained out in a yard or stuck in a pen and wonder why those people even have them if they don't want them.  They never seem to pay the slightest attention to them so why bother.  Animals - like people - need interaction and love to have a happy existence.   Also I have been watching the rescues of the wonderful people who do it and the terrible conditions that proceed the happy ending.  My mind seems to focus on the terrible conditions even as I applaud the happy ending.  I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder how many other animals are trapped in such a situation and, of course, my mind goes round and round for hours.

Unfortunately I have decided that I will re-post the rescues of these animals if I see them on Facebook and other social media so that some loving person may adopt them but I will not watch them any more.  I will also do what I financially can to help them and in my own town I will call on any conditions that I see that are cruel.  Some people have told me that some things might seem cruel to me and not to the owner as I tend to treat our pets as little people.  I honestly don't see what's wrong with that - do unto others...........

Anyway I just needed to get this off my chest and hope it helps someone else having the same problems coping with the way the world is now.  Or maybe it always was this way and I just didn't notice until I got older.   The older I get the stranger the world and its people seem to be.  Hopefully it doesn't get any stranger.

Thanks so much for reading my little blog.  Again if you need anything special check out my stores.  I just might have it.

2 comments:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

I know what you are talking about. I will be 64 this year. I remember you being a teenager just like me. LOL

Joyce said...

I'm not sure I remember that far back. 70 years old - doesn't seem possible.